The World is Your Oyster

Thursday, March 09, 2006

 

International Women's Day

Yesterday was International Women's Day, the international holiday celebrated only in Brazil. Have any of you Americans heard of this day? Maybe in the US they're politically correct enough to call it Appreciate your Secretary Day?

Like the ancient Romans, the Brazilians find any reason to have a party. Thus, in celebration of International Women's Day, a band played and crowds gathered on the beach below the house where we're staying. Steve, the house's owner, had a group of friends over for the occasion. We drank, played ping pong, attempted the strange and warped Brazilian version of pool, talked, danced samba, and of course, thanks to Craig, were entertained with balloon animals. A highlight, in my opinion, was the swan that he floated in the pool. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture which in my now-sober state I regret not having done. But I don't worry as I'm sure there will be many balloon swans in my future.

I was chatting with Livia (and please keep in mind that most of the conversations I have with Brazilians are a choppy mixture of broken English and hand gestures), who, lucky for me, speaks English and French very well. She and I were talking about her experience in Paris, how she had studied there for several months last year. I asked her how she liked it, thinking of course she liked it, it's France, my motherland, my true love, wine, fromage, baguettes... To my surprise, Livia's face fell as she said she hadn't had a positive experience there. She explained as follows: "I didn't like the French way of life, it was too fast-paced. The French live to work." I was astounded. How much do you now know about the Brazilian way of life if Brazilians think the FRENCH live to work? I later told Craig what Livia had said and with a laugh he simply replied, "I love Brazil." So do I, so do I.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   April 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?