The World is Your Oyster

Friday, March 24, 2006

 

Leaving Brazil...

Since I haven't had computer access for a while, I'm transcribing these entries from my journal. I'm typing on a German keyboard, so please excuse the mistakes.

22 March 2006.
"Good maw nin" - the first words spoken to me upon arriving in the US today. The bathroom attendant, who these words belong to, was saying "Good Morning" to a group of us at the bathroom sink, and everyone but myself uttered a friendly response before I understood the woman was speaking English. I'm so out of place in the South. But I like the friendliness.
I'm sitting in the Atlanta airport waiting for my flight to New York and I notice everyone wearing coats. I almost dread the reality I'll soon face - that after three weeks of being overheated in shorts and tank tops, I'll go back to feeling cold in my parka. Oh well, I love cold weather too, it feels like home.

I'm sad to leave Brazil; my time there revealed only a glimpse into Brazilian culture. In many ways I love it, in some I'm confused. For example, Rodrigo shared with Craig and me how the athletes in Brazil have respect for the games' referees, unlike the US where testosterone-driven athletes raise their tempers every time a call doesn't go their way. I considered Rodrigo's proud words as I watched a Brazilian fan throw a beer can at a police officer and revisited my earlier observation of a fan peeing on the stadium steps even though there was a bathroom 10 yards behind him. I'm not kidding, 30 feet away. So yes, the soccer players in Brazil won't get heated over a questionable call (very good, we can learn from this), but the fans in the cheap seats (on the lower level) get dripped on by half-time from run-off of beer and urine from the fans above. Hm...
Actually I loved going to Maracana for the Soccer game on Sunday. The crowd had the unified energy of fans in the nosebleed section at a Redsox/Yankees world series game. Time TEN. The fans cheer with the energy of WTO protestors, and with the same vigor and animosity, yet with rhythm and drums. And this is was a regular season game. Undoubtedly fights start among the crowds. We were in a lively area and then decided it would become unsafe and went to a place with more families (we were 2 guys, 2 girls, the guys would have stayed there but if a fight breaks out there are so many people and no where to run, hence you have to stay standing in your seat and protect yourself in the fight. The guys didn't think we needed to be doing that, thankfully). We watched the rest of the game in the family area, and even though there wasn't as much cheering, I was happy we left because Rodrigo's sister called not long after we'd changed seats to ask if we were ok - she had seen on TV that BIG fight had broken out in the section where we were. And yes, we were all ok thanks to Rodrigo's thinking ahead.

There are so many good things to write about but I know if I write too much, no one will read it. Wait, that's not true, my mom will. Love you mama!

Craig and I went to Teresopolis, the hightest city in the state of Rio de Janiero, last Wednesday through Friday. It is a decently-sized, somewhat dull city surrounded by a beautiful (Michael, pronounce it the way grandma used to: be-uuuu-tiful) National Park. We hiked some, enjoyed the lush vegetation and the bugs. Scratch that (pun intended), didn't enjoy the bugs.

On Friday we spent the afternoon at the Teresopolis home of the family of a friend from Seattle, Bea. The house belongs to Bea's grandmother, and surrounded by the national park, it is be-uuu-tiful as well. We swam in the pool and ate the $4 (I can't believe this German keyboard has a dollar sign) worth of fruit we'd bought at the local fruit market. $4 will buy a juicy watermelon, 3 perfect mangoes, and many bananas. Delicious juicy plentiful fruit, how I miss you. I loved our afternoon at that house, especially our watermelon fight. See more pictures here.

Bea's mom, Christina, invited us to her home for dinner when we returned to Niteroi. A delicious meal with good company: Bea's beautiful little sister, Marina, had invited two friends from school. We all practiced speaking English. I feel my English is progressing well. Christina and Marina are so warm and welcoming, I'm so happy to know them.

There are many pictures that would enhance your blog experience, but alas, I cannot show them to you at this time. I am patiently awaiting them to be put online by my Brazilian contact, because I was too lazy and impatient to do it myself. Soon, I promise.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   April 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?