The World is Your Oyster

Friday, March 10, 2006

 

Spectacular Views and Big Realizations

Yesterday we hiked to the top of a hill at Itacoatiara in the blazing sun, then waited for the sunset. Well worth the wait as you can see from the picture above. The past few days we have spent the morning and a good part of the afternoon lounging around Mirante de São Francisco, one of the houses that Craig's friend Steve Waters rents for vacationers. If you're interested in coming to Rio, stay at one of his houses, I've seen two of the four and not only are they breathtaking, they're a fabulous deal. Don't you want to live a life like this photograph? Check out his website at www.rioholiday.com and add Rio to your list of places to visit. But learn some Portuguese, it's not just the sun and the views that make this place great, it's the culture.

Before Brazil, I had never traveled to a place where I stand out as a foreigner. I think of Michael walking the streets of Taipei every day and how he must stand out from (and stand above) the locals. I wonder how long it took him to get used to that. Nearly everyone I encounter in Brazil comments on my light skin, blue eyes, or blond hair. It has become a running joke among Rodrigo and Craig (i.e. "Let's have Katie walk in front of us at night because her skin will light the way"). Rodrigo's mom Clarice says think I look like Barbie. Other friends at a barbeque said I look like Lady Diana and henceforth dubbed me Lady Katherine. I was fumbling with my contact lens and someone said "I knew it, contacts! Your eyes aren't really blue!" It's funny to be categorized with certain people, like Diana and Barbie, because it shows what stands out to Brazilians. I KNOW that in Germany, I'll fit right in, and I'll probably miss all the attention.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   April 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?