The World is Your Oyster

Saturday, May 06, 2006

 

Hong Kong and Taipei


I haven't much time to write at the moment, but I am making an effort because I imagine this will be my last blog update for a while. Michael and I spend 4 jam-packed days in Hong Kong (and I've subsequently realized that everywhere in Asia is jam-packed, with people). There are many fun stories to impart, but for the sake of time, the highlight of my Hong Kong experience:

I made the news.

My 15 minutes of fame are up, I suppose (ok, I was on air maybe 15-seconds, but in a city like Hong Kong with a population of 10 million people, I figured it's equivalent). A reporter was conducting a story on tourism and fundraising at the Giant Buddha just outside the city, and she targeted her perfect tourist victim to interview about my thoughts on the tourist destinations of Hong Kong. The first question she asked, as she glanced over my blond hair and sunglasses was, "Excuse me, miss, are you a tourist?" Was this woman mocking me? I gave what I thought were decently eloquent responses to her questions (Michael was standing by and will attest to this statement), but in the snippet that aired that night, I thought I sounded like a ditsy valley-girl. I almost wish I had played the part entirely and said "It's, like, really great to be in Hong Kong in the Republic of China, looking at this big statue of the emperor. " At least that was I would have made Leno. No matter how I actually appeared on TV, I was happy for the experience. In the least, it makes for a decent blog entry.

Michael's Comment: For the sake of geopolitical accuracy, it must be noted that the correct full name for Hong Kong is: Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. Don't forget Sucka!

Alas, I sign off. Tomorrow I leave for Thailand for three weeks and will doubtfully much chance to blog. I apologize in advance and will make my best efforts on your behalves, dear readers.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   April 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?